This is close to my heart, because last year, I lost two people close to me due to heart disease. My Uncle passed away from a massive heart attack at only age 63, and my director at work had an enlarged heart, and her heart stopped in her sleep at the young age of 36. She was 9 months younger than me.
Here are some facts about heart disease. Remember prevention is key. 80% of heart attacks and strokes can be prevented.
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States.
- One person in the U.S. dies from heart disease about every 37 seconds.
- More people die from cardiovascular disease than anything else.
- 1 in 5 heart attacks are silent, where the person is unaware that they have even had a heart attack.
- Most of the time cardiovascular disease can be prevented by healthy diet, activity, not smoking and drinking.
- Diabetes, inactivity, alcoholism, smoking, and obesity put you at risk.
A heart attack is when a blocked artery that supplies your heart with oxygen and blood.
The symptoms of a heart attack are: chest pain, pain down left arm, but not limited to your left arm. Pain or discomfort in arms, shoulder, elbows, jaw, or back. Sweating, and nausea. Shortness of breath, trouble breathing. Call 911 immediately if you have these symptoms. My Uncle did not, and he would still be with us today, if he had called 911!
Also extreme fatigue is a sign of heart disease.
Prevention is key! Go to the doctor every year for a check up! Get your blood sugar checked, because diabetes but you at risk. Having your cholesterol is so important, and your blood pressure checked as well. Do not miss check ups at the doctor. If you do not have access to health care, get government aided coverage or go to a free clinic. Don’t skip your yearly check up! (My Uncle did).
Let’s get active, and eat healthier! If you are like a lot of people, one of your New Years resolutions were to lose weight and get healthy.
My cholesterol is still low. I think that is because at work, I’m on my feet all day and I’m young. I need to work out 3 days a week again! I eat whatever I want, that is so bad. I really need to stop!
Cheers to good health, and preventing heart disease.